5 June 2020 – Exports through the Port of Cape Town will not be allowed for all of Friday, 05 June 2020, this includes all stacking scheduled for the day.
Transnet has reportedly told exporters and related transport concerns.
Furthermore, although this amounts to a day-long shutdown of ordinary container throughput for the port, the restriction on cold chain exports is far more severe.
According to Terry Gale, chair of the Western Cape Exporters’ Club, all reefer box exports through Cape Town will be indefinitely banned from tomorrow.
This is despite the fact that South Africa is in the middle of its citrus exporting season.
Gale said what was even worse was the manner in which the decision had been taken and enforced, without prior consultation with industry.
Earlier today we learnt from a reliable source that the Port of Ngqura had been shut down for most of today to enable deep sanitisation of the container terminal. Source (Freight News)